Council on Undergraduate Education
The purpose of the Council on Undergraduate Education, which reports to the Provost, is as follows:
- coordinate relevant faculty board committees to improve the education at Caltech for undergraduates;
- provide a forum for analyzing and discussing the undergraduate academic issues that supersede any one faculty committee;
- provide oversight on issues associated with undergraduate teaching;
- work with the Academics and Research Committee (ARC) to organize, coordinate and facilitate follow-up to the biennial Student Faculty Conference and on other issues of mutual interest;
- coordinate and review data related to student success and learning, retention and graduation, educational quality and effectiveness, and student satisfaction;
- assist with accreditation reviews.
The Council Chair will be the Vice Provost overseeing academic issues. The Council will be comprised of:
- chairs of the following faculty board committees - Undergraduate Academic Standards and Honors Committee, the Core Curriculum Steering Committee, the Curriculum Committee, the Academic Policies Committee, and the Freshman Admissions Committee;
- the Dean, the MOSH and the Vice President of Student Affairs;
- the Registrar;
- the student chair of the Academics and Research Committee, plus two additional student representatives;
- at least one faculty member from each Division;
- the Chair of the Faculty.